There are three criteria for initial eligibility for grant funding.
- Community-based organizations must have a current IRS tax exempt nonprofit 501(c)(3) status or have a relationship with a currently tax exempt organization serving as the fiscal agent.
- A program or project must primarily serve the Jefferson target area south of Pittsburgh, PA. The Jefferson area encompasses the South Hills and lower Mon Valley in Allegheny County. Among the communities served are: Baldwin, Bethel Park, Brentwood, Clairton, Dravosburg, Duquesne, Elizabeth Borough, Elizabeth Township, Forward, Glassport, Homestead, Jefferson Hills, Liberty, Lincoln, McKeesport, Munhall, Pleasant Hills, Port Vue, South Park, South Versailles, Versailles, West Elizabeth, West Homestead, West Mifflin, Whitaker, and Whitehall.
- The program or project does not compete with any activities of Jefferson Hospital or the Allegheny Health Network.
Types of strategies the Foundation will consider funding:
- New and innovative programs or projects (includes pilot or planning grants)
- Ongoing programs or projects
- General operating support for programs that match our priorities
- Capacity-building funds (strategic planning, technical assistance)
- Capital funds (equipment, facilities)
- Fellowship or scholarship programs
Types of requests we will not fund:
- Organizations without a charitable, tax-exempt status or a fiscal sponsor
- Programs or projects targeted outside of our geographic area
- Political campaigns or lobbying
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Medical research
- Individuals (also individual scholarships or fellowships)
- Routine fundraising events
- Endowment funds